Jean Dawson, Ph.D., Assistant Professor of Criminal Justice
Criminal Justice Department; Behavioral Science Division
PH.D., Sociology, University of New Hampshire
B.A., M.S., Criminal Justice and Criminology, University of Massachusetts at Lowell
- Deviance during Young Adulthood
- Development Criminology
- Consequences of and Responses to Child Sexual Abuse
- Juvenile Justice
- Gender, Race, and Crime
- The Family
- Contemporary Social Theory
- Dawson, Jean, Vermunt, Jeroen, Walsh, Wendy A., and Marybeth J. Mattingly (2011) Latent Class Derived Child Maltreatment Clusters: Evidence from the National Survey of Child and Adolescent Well-Being (NSCAW). (under review at Child Maltreatment)
- Dawson, Jean and Murray Straus. (2011). "Male Dominance in Society and Male Predominance in Criminal Behavior by University Students in Thirty-Two National Settings." (under review The Open Criminology Journal)
- Walsh, Wendy A., Dawson, Jean and Marybeth J. Mattingly (2010). "How are We Measuring Resilience following Childhood Maltreatment? Is the Research Adequate and Consistent? What is the Impact on Research, Practice and Policy?" Trauma, Violence, and Abuse, Jan.c
- Dawson, Jean and Melissa Wells. (2007). "Crimes Involving Child Victims: Law Enforcement Reporting to Child Protective Services." Journal for Public Social Work, 1, 4: 43-65.
- Hirschel, J. David and D. Jean Quigley [now Dawson]. (2003) "Violence Against Women: Synthesis of Research for Law Enforcement." NCJRS Final Report: Washington, D.C. U.S. Department of Justice.
- Hirschel, J. David, Richard. C. Lumb and D. Jean Quigley [now Dawson]. (2001) "Victim Assessment of the Police Response to Burglary: Does the Crime Scene Search Unit Serve More of a Law Enforcement or Public Relations Function?" Police Practice & Research, 2: 365-383.
- Dawson, Jean (2009). “Patterns of Offending Among American Young Adults.” Presented at the American Criminological Society Annual Meeting; November 2009.
- Dawson, Jean, Wendy A. Walsh and Marybeth J. Mattingly (2007). “Maltreatment and the Functioning of Children and Adolescents.” Presented at the 16th Annual International Family Violence and Child Victimization Conference; July 2007.
- Dawson, Jean. (2006). “The Effects of Community Cohesion and Religion on Multiple Adverse Outcomes of Young Adults Residing in Rural and Non-Rural Settings.” Presented at the Annual Meeting of the Eastern Sociological Society; February 2006.
- Straus, Murray A. and Jean Dawson. (2005). “Male Predominance in Criminal Behavior in the Life History of University Students in Nineteen National Settings.” Presented at the American Criminological Society Annual Meeting; November 2005.
- Dawson, Jean and Melissa Wells. (2004). “Crimes Involving Child Victims: Law Enforcement Reporting to Child Protective Services.” Presented at the 16th Annual International Family Violence and Child Victimization Conference; July 2007.
Ornithology, Gardening and Skiing