The Alternative Spring Break Program enhances the co-curricular experience by placing leadership in the context of civic responsibility and service to the global community. The aim is to develop a global perspective, promote leadership, critical thinking, social action, and community involvement by combining experiential education and direct service.
Each year Student Involvement staff members bring together a group of dedicated students who want to help make a difference in the lives of others. Students have the opportunity to put theory into practice, while learning about issues facing the broader world around them. In the midst of hard work, they have a lot of fun and develop lasting friendships. The experience consists of regular meetings, team building, project preparation, followed by an direct service trip and reflection.
Alternate Break Trips
- 1999 Habitat Restoration - Nature Conservancy: Hobe Sound, FL
- 2000 Trail Building - Tennessee Trails: Appalachian Mountains, TN
- 2001 Art in the Schools - National School and Community Corps, PA
- 2002 After School Programs – Boys and Girls Club: Jacksonville, FL
- 2003 Home Building – Delta Cultural Center: Clarksville, MS
- 2004 Youth Work – Delta Cultural Center: Mound Bayou, MS
- 2005 Building Handicapped Ramps – RAMP: San Antonio, TX
- 2006 Habitat Restoration – Virginia State Parks: Northeast, VA
- 2007 Hurricane Katrina Relief – Operation TLC: Pascagoula, MS
- 2008 Trail Building - Tennessee Trails: Appalachian Mountains, TN
- 2008 Hunger & Homelessness – All Faiths Community Outreach: Goodyear, AZ
- 2009 Hunger, Shelter, Community and Affordable Housing: Goodyear & Prescott, AZ
- 2011 Hunger, Shelter, Community and Affordable Housing: Goodyear & Prescott, AZ
- 2012 Affordable Housing: Habitat for Humanities Collegiate Challenge: Monroe, NC
- 2013 Affordable Housing: Habitat for Humanities Collegiate Challenge: Wilmington, DE
- 2014 Affordable Housing: Habitat for Humanities Collegiate Challenge: Beaumont, TX
Want to Know More?
For more information about the Alternative Spring Break Program contact Scott Ansevin-Allen.
Assistant Dean of Student Involvement and Co-Curricular Programming