Types of Aid

need-based aid

There are several different types of need-based assistance available. "Need-based" means that before aid is awarded, the student and family must demonstrate financial need by providing information to Federal Student Aid Programs using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) . The Franklin Pierce University Federal School Code number for the FAFSA is 002575.

Through the FAFSA, information regarding family size, income, and assets is evaluated using the federal needs analysis formula, approved by the United States Congress. The results are made available to the University. We subtract the "estimated family contribution" figure from the "cost of education" figure. When the cost of education is larger than the expected family contribution, financial need is demonstrated.

When there is "need," aid is awarded, usually in a combination of grant or loan. Not everyone receives aid from every program. For more specific details on need based aid, please direct questions to your center counselor.

Other Sources of financial Assistance

Graduate PLUS Loan

Graduate students may borrow under the Graduate PLUS Loan Program. PLUS loan limits equal the student’s cost of attendance minus other financial aid with no aggregate loan limits. The interest rate for PLUS loan borrowers is fixed 6.28% (effective 7/1/2021). Repayment begins within 60 days of when the loan is disbursed but deferment options are available.

Alternative Loan Programs

For information on alternative loan programs, go to our Undergraduate and Graduate Online Programs Loans page, section titled "Alternative Loans."

Veterans Administration

All eligible veterans attending Franklin Pierce University should contact their center counselor regarding eligibility for Veterans Administration or other benefits.


The Franklin Pierce Alumni Association offers a scholarship once a year. Please find information about this scholarship in the Alumni Association.

Private Scholarships

Students should attempt to locate scholarships for which they are eligible. View a list of Scholarship Websites. Other sources of information are high school guidance offices, charitable organizations, service organizations, employee credit unions, and college libraries. Students who receive private scholarships are required to notify the Office of Student Financial Services. Private scholarships are used to cover any unmet need and then to reduce loans and work-study.

Scholarships & grants


Look at Outside Scholarships and Grants

Contact Student Financial SErvices

Mon - Wed: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Thur: 8 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Fri: 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.